Author Topic: How will the world/map work?  (Read 179 times)

Offline jambox5

• View Profile
    • Email
How will the world/map work?
« on: October 18, 2017, 06:44:57 pm »
Because you are making a 2D side-perspective game I'm curious how Polished Games is handling the wolrd map in Realms of Magic. In other games similar to this one, there are a few different ways that it's dealt with, for example in Terraria the map is just 2D and to get to another biome you simply keep walking left or right. But in a game such as Starbound you have a 'minimap' where you travel between planets(biomes) and once there you have a 2D map for the region.

Will realms of magic have a "world map" where you select different regions to go to, and each one is a 2D biome or group of Biomes? or are you going with a Terraria setup with just keep moving East/West to get places?

OR something i havent listed? I'm really curious how different Developers handle this concept of a deep world with multiple towns or settlements in a 2D side-scroller perspective :)

Offline Echtel

• View Profile
Re: How will the world/map work?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 08:27:32 pm »

How about having multiple MAPS instead of multiple layers?
What I mean is implementing a sort of "world map" overview (much like Starbound with the galaxy or Regions of Ruin with the explorable world map) and putting in place a system of fast travel between smaller, procedurally generated instances similar to the tutorial one.

This way you could avoid having an overly large and complicated world with multiple biomes Terraria style and instead go for a system of smaller ones connected by fast travel and possibly an invasion system to let NPCS from the other instances attack the player's home.

Your idea at the end pretty much describes our world map system, which is disabled in demo version. When you travel to the edge of a location you can open up a world map and choose another location to travel to.

;)