Author Topic: Doors and the Z-Axis  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Nachtmusique

• View Profile
Doors and the Z-Axis
« on: December 02, 2015, 09:42:40 pm »
Hi Realms of Magic! I'm intrigued by the concept of your upcoming game and am looking forward to its development and release. You may already be planning this, but if not; here is my suggestion:

You are developing a 2D game, but this doesn't mean it has to be a 2D world. You could have doors in the background or foreground of a scene that would allow the player to move to additional layers of rooms and areas along the z-axis. This would give you more freedom in designing your dungeons since you could have multiple layers of scenes in a single 2d map. The only example of this that i comes to mind right now is the haunted house level of Super Mario World in which you would go through various doors in the background to access different rooms in the dungeon. This allowed for a much more complex level even within the 2d platform environment.

Thanks again for developing such a great looking game!

Offline Zakharn

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • I like games
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Magic
Re: Doors and the Z-Axis
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 02:02:59 pm »
Hello! Welcome to our forums! Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Actually we have talked a lot about this. We believe that it's great solution in most sidescroller games, however we don't think it could work very well in a sandbox game where you can freely modify the environment.

First of all, it would make building much more complicated. Players would need to be able to create additional layers and it's quite problematic.

Second reason is that it would cause problems with enemies. In our game enemies can destroy blocks so they can get to the player no matter where he hides. When it comes to small enemies it would be easy to solve, just give them ability to travel between layers but large enemies (like dragons) wouldn’t work.

Another problem is world physics, every building in our game can be destroyed and collapsed and it would be very hard to make this work with additional layers.

On the other hand this approach would solve another problem that we have: how do we build cities without forcing player to through every house in order to reach the other side of a city. Right now we have several options:
1. Player needs to go through every house, we would make doors open automatically in this case.
2. We build cities that have a passageway under and over buildings.
3. We experiment with additional layers.
Currently we are considering the option number 2.

Which option would you choose and why?
My signature is awesome!

Offline SirRoland

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 04:31:30 pm »
I will wrote this in 2 language versions.

Polish:
Wstawienie jeszcze jednej warstwy pomiędzy zewnątrz a wewnątrz budynku w postaci ściany frontowej ów budynku byłoby wielkim atutem tejże gry wyróżniającym ją na tle Terrarii, Starbounda i innych gier tego typu. Moźliwość wyboru materiałów i dekoracji zarówno w środku jak i na zewnątrz budynku oraz ustawianie różnych obiektów przed budynkiem o wiele by wzbogaciło rozgrywkę. Ponadto przechodzenie przed budynkami nie byłoby tak uciążliwe jak przechodzenie przez każdy kolejny. Jeśli warstwy stanowią taki problem można by ustawić aby były tworzone automatycznie podczas tworzenia budowli, lub nadanie wrogom 2 trybów ataku: przeciwko budynkom i przeciwko istotom lub rzeczom na ziemi. Zawsze można byłoby też zrobić budynki w 3D.

English:
Placing one layer between the outside and the inside of the building in the form of the front wall of the building would be a great asset of this game, distinguishing it against the background of Terraria, Starbound and other games of this type. The ability to choose materials and decorations both inside and outside the building and setting different objects in front of the building will greatly enrich the gameplay. Also, going in front of the buildings would not be as boring as going through each one. If the layers are such a problem, you could set them to be created automatically when you build a building, or give enemies 2 attack modes: against buildings and against beings or things on the ground. You could always make buildings in 3D.

Except that I have also a lot of other ideas.

Offline KoBeWi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 07:45:48 pm »
The idea of more layers isn't as complicated, at least if we limit number of layers to 2. Most importantly, the second layer would exist only where there is a background wall. Also, every background wall would be "filled" by default, with a special "hollow" wall variants to speed up making interiors. (you'd have to carve the filled walls yourself)
You could enter the second layer only where there is special door or breach in the wall (they would be represented as "black background", and some indicator would show up when in front of them). Destroying the side boundaries of interiors (so left/right wall etc.) would create a hole on the corresponding side of outside wall, which could be accessed as normal door/breach.
Destroying outside wall would either make an entrance inside or, in case of big explosions etc., destroy that part of the interior and force everything inside to the primary layer.
I can try to draw some concepts if it's not clear enough.

As for big enemies like dragons, they could just make big holes if player hides in a building. Either to enter themselves or blow the player outside.

Placing one layer between the outside and the inside of the building in the form of the front wall of the building would be a great asset of this game, distinguishing it against the background of Terraria, Starbound and other games of this type.
Totally agree with this. I'd certainly experiment with that if I were you.

Offline Zakharn

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • I like games
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Magic
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 05:43:40 pm »
Could it be done? Probably. However we don't think it would add that much to the game that would justify tremendous amounts of work that would be required to implement it properly. The list of features we could add to the game is much bigger than what we ever could do in our lifetimes, so we need to focus on those that add as much to the game as possible with as little time spent developing them.
My signature is awesome!