Author Topic: Questions about Necromancy  (Read 433 times)

Offline TheCreepyGuy

• View Profile
Questions about Necromancy
« on: May 19, 2017, 12:14:49 am »
I found Realms of Magic when I was searching for a game with a good necromancy system, and from reading on your site this looks promising. But I was wondering how the necromancy system will work and I have some specific questions.

1. Will we be able to turn into a Lich or similar?
2. According to the website, we will be able to make a city and my question is: Will we be able to make it 'undead' powered? Basically having skeletons and/or zombies doing the mining and work while our citizens go on with their daily life. All Necromancers aren't evil, and it would be refreshing if we would be able to play as a kind one.
3. Will we be able to equip our minions?
4. Will Necromancy be available in the first release? :)

Offline Zakharn

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • I like games
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Magic
Re: Questions about Necromancy
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 03:55:08 pm »
Hey, welcome to our forums!

Before I answer your questions let's talk about necromancy in different games. I always loved fantasy of a powerful necromancer who is able control huge armies of undead. However I haven't played a game that allowed me to fulfill that fantasy. All I could do in other games is controlling a handful of minions.

I believe that our game could fulfill this fantasy. While you won't be able to have your whole army with you at all times, you will be able to have towns, or maybe crypts and dungeons, run by them, which should give you the feeling that you are controlling vast hordes of the undead.

1. Players will be able to transform their characters into three different templates: deathless (conscious undead), a vampire and a werewolf. If you want to roleplay a lich you should play as a deathless mage. This feature is planned after Early Access launch. We will probably implement deathless first because we already have sprites for them, werewolves and vampires will be coming a little bit later.

2A. You will be able to do exactly that! Necromancers and demonologists will be able to use their undead and demon minions instead of usual NPCs. And you can certainly play as a kind necromancer who is using death magic for the greater good.

3. Probably yes but not all of them. You will be able to equip NPCs living in your town and all undead creatures that are based on playable races like skeletons and deathless. We have no plans for this feature for non-humanoid undead creatures like ghosts or abominations.

4. Unfortunately not during Early Access launch. At launch we will only have the bare bones of magic system. Currently we are planning to focus the first big update on magic schools and it should be released several months after the initial launch. Necromancy is definitely one of the first magic schools we will work on.

Have you found any games with good necromancy systems during your search? If yes then please let us know :)
My signature is awesome!

Offline TheCreepyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 04:31:42 pm »
The only games that have somewhat satisfied me is Dwarf Fortress in adventure mode. It feels so good to have like 100+ zombies while attacking villages and towns.

Thanks for answering the questions, if you get this off it will probably become one of my favorite games. :)

Also, in my opinions you should be able to evolve from Deathless to either a Lich or Death Knight. The major thing about Liches is the phylactery and the major thing about Death Knights are their strength.

As a Lich I think you should be able to bind yourself to any object, even NPC's if you want. If you die you simply respawn at that place, but if it is destroyed you're doomed. That reminds me, will there be perma-death or a respawn system? I myself would prefer perma-death in these kind of games.

Offline Zakharn

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • I like games
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Magic
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 05:26:26 pm »
We will probably explore the phylactery idea later on in the development.

However we don't want to make clear distinctions between character classes, we want to give the players an ability to mix and match different skills to create characters they want. For example, the Death Knight would be a deathless that specializes both in necromancy and physicals combat skills like heavy armor and melee weapons.
My signature is awesome!

Offline TheCreepyGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 09:01:25 pm »
Ah, I see. I do hope that there will be a penalty to physical combat for creating a phylactery, as according to me it would make no sense for a Death Knight to have a phylactery. If you are going to use a separate stamina and mana system then a easy thing to do would be a buff to max-mana and mana-reg while debuffing max-stamina and stamina-reg.

To clarify, a Lich is a mage becoming immortal to expand their magical knowledge and explore the arcane, but as they are made of pure magic their strength dwindles. While Death Knight are made out of enchanted bones making them stronger.

Offline Zakharn

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • I like games
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Magic
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 05:00:04 pm »
I've just noticed that I haven't answer your previous question about permadeath and respawn system. We haven't finally decided if we will be using respawn or save-load system, but we will definitely have permadeath option no matter which option we'll go with.

We are using classic 3 resource system: Health, Stamina and Mana.

The problem with sacrificing stamina for mana is that it would probably make Liches the best way to play a mage as they don't really care about their stamina that much and there wouldn't really be a downside.

We could instead make some serious debuffs to health to reflect Liches' physical fragility and give them an ability to resurrect in combat. While they are being dead their minions could continue damaging the oppent and Lich could resurrect in the right moment to finish enemies off. That way becoming a Lich would be optional to mages and not necessary. And Death Knights wouldn't go that path since they deal big chunk of the damage themselves and having lower HP would damage their potential too much to be viable. However, if someone really wanted to create a Death Knight with phylactery, they could.

This is the biggest design philosophy we follow - to give players as much freedom as possible, even if that means giving them ability to screw themselves :)
My signature is awesome!